The education department of New York City is the largest school & education system in entire US. An average of more than 1.1 million students is taught in New York City in over 1700 separate schools. The entire educational department of New York City is a branch of NY’s municipal government.
The education department of New York City covers effectually all the five boroughs of the city. The education department of New York City is run by the Chancellor of New York City Schools. NYC educational system is quite similar to the general educational system that most of the nations follow. But there is one exception that makes the NYC educational system quite different as well as unique from other educational systems.
The NYC is a place where different religion schools are also supported. This is the key point that differentiates the NYC department of education hierarchy from other area’s education hierarchies. The different schools that NYC department of education hierarchy effectively support are –
- Charter Schools – These are the schools that run on public money. They are more of charity institutes and have certain rules, regulation of their own.
- Private Schools – NYC has more than 900 privately run religious or secular schools.
- Public Schools– These are the general schools of the NYC.
- Parochial Schools – A parochial school is a special kind of school that ardently provides religious education to the students along with the conventional education. In NYC department of education hierarchy, the government supports following three Parochial Schools.
- Islamic Madrasas
- Roman Catholic Schools
- Judaism Schools
The NYC department of education hierarchy is described below in brief with all the levels of education system along with brief description. The pattern followed is with a top down approach means the highest level is positioned at the top while at the end is the lowest educational level.
- Higher educational level – This level of education system of the NYC department of education hierarchy provides high-level educational certification & study to the students. The courses this level supports include Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, high level diplomas, Doctorates, Ph.D. etc and many more.
- Secondary educational level – This is the middle level educational system that supports the elementary education that is a must for every child to finish. The schools that support this educational level are normally referred to as High Schools in NYC. A student spends most of his childhood & teenage life during completing this educational level in his life. So it is correct to say that this level is the foundation level of a child’s life & future.
- Primary educational level – This is the lower most educational level in NYC department of education but equally important. Since this is the level when a child starts his study and gets to learn basic of life from reading to writing to well behaving with others.