China is the world’s most populous country and due to this, it has vast and varied education system. There are various types of schools and colleges in China and education in this country is divided into several levels of hierarchy. The main authority of education in China lies with the government but there are several private schools and colleges as well.
The three tier model of education can be divided into primary education, secondary education and tertiary education. To understand the education hierarchy in China well, you can read the following given information.
Pre- School Education
Pre -school education in China is not compulsory but most people prefer admitting their children to pre -schools which is divided into the following hierarchical system:
1. Play schools-Play school education lasts from 2-4 years of age
2. Kindergarten schools-Kindergarten education too is a part of preschool education and lasts from the age of 3-5 years of age.
Primary school Education
Primary school education is the compulsory education in China. Children are admitted to primary schools at the age of 5 or 5 and half years. Primary school education focusses on teaching and learning of Chinese, Mathematics, Music, Drawing, Physical education, history, geography, nature and other basic subjects. English, as a foreign language is introduced at grade 3 level in primary school.
After completing primary school education, children take direct admission into secondary level education. Secondary level education is slightly higher than the level of primary schools and gives further knowledge of the subjects which the students have already been learning at primary school levels. The following is the hierarchy of secondary level education:
1. Junior secondary-Junior secondary education in China can also be called middle school education and goes on for the last 3 years of the 9 year compulsory education system.
2. Senior secondary-Senior secondary education too lasts for 3 years and can be termed as high school level education in China. This level of education is not compulsory for the students.
Higher education can also be called as tertiary education in China and generally is taken up by those who wish to study further and add degrees or diplomas to their portfolio. The following is the hierarchy of higher education in China.
1.Graduate level studies-Graduate level studies or bachelor’s education goes on for 3-5 years.
Master’s level studies-master’s education or post graduate studies go on for 2 years in China.
2. Doctorate level studies-Student can study further to obtain PhD degree in the subject of their choice